Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas in Italy

I spent one Christmas in Italy, the year I lived in Rome. The holiday is typically a little more spartan than Americans are used to--there are some lights, of course, but decorations are pretty low on glitz for the most part. There also aren't many Christmas trees--instead everyone pours their energy into presepi, or Nativity scenes. These can get pretty elaborate, with tableaux not only of the holy family but of village scenes, such as women drawing water from the well or even, I remember, a pizza baker, who shoveled a pizza in and out of an oven. Other versions take more artistic tacks--I saw one that was artfully created out of twisted and folded paper, origami-style.

Not that there isn't a festive atmosphere--people are out shopping, of course; the air smells of roasted chestnuts being sold in paper cones on the corner; and there's a Christmas market in Piazza Navona. I remember loading up on amazing profiteroles from a bakery in my neighborhood, having Christmas lunch at Agata e Romeo, listening to choral singers at Santa Maria Maggiore, and for some reason watching Pope JP's midnight mass on TV.

However, it's always nice to be with lots of friends and family at the holidays. I am currently hoping that the ice storm in Chicago today passes in time for me to make it to Boston tomorrow so I don't have to spend Christmas Eve alone and Christmas at O'Hare! Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment