Thursday, May 28, 2009

the double cheek kiss

While hugs as greeting and (especially) parting gestures are popular in America (especially among teenagers), I have never been fond of hugging anyone other than close family members and significant others. The intimacy of the embrace feels awkward and insincere in most situations. That is why I am an advocate of the European tradition of cheek-kissing.



I prefer to faire la bise because it just seems more impersonal than hugging. That sounds counter-intuitive, but think about it: you're just in there for a couple quick pecks and it's done, whereas with a hug you're all scrooshed up next to someone for who knows how long. And your, um, pelvises could be in close contact too. Plus, let's face it, the mwah-mwah is more chic.

I propose a national campaign to swap hugging for cheek-kissing. Are you with me?

Some tips on cheek kissing in Italy and France:


Which way do you kiss in Italy?


Right or left side?

How to Kiss Hello in France

Or just watch this video:

1 comment:

  1. phew, I thought it was just me! And somebody please, please show me a polite way to refuse that unwanted hug that's coming at you. I'm from the dark ages, but I like handshakes and verbal greetings from unsignificant others.

    (The screens go on the inside:)

    ReplyDelete