Saturday, August 22, 2009

corniche

e


We had a few really lovely, golden, late-summer days here. Maybe I was in a French mood from watching this movie the night before, but driving along North Lake Shore Drive to work in the morning reminded me of Cannes--something about the combination of the road, the trees on the median and the park to the left, and the sun glinting off the water and the gently swaying boats in the harbors.

It's somewhat odd that given how much the lake is a part of the city--and how huge it is--that we don't have more of a coastal culture. Of course, there are probably many people who spend every weekend on their boats or at the lakefront and would strongly disagree. I wish I knew more of them!

Blogging reminds me daily how pathetic my photography skills are--at least for this one I have the excuse that I was driving at the time. Please use your imagination!

1 comment:

  1. Ciao!
    First of all thanks for visiting Aglio, Olio & Peperoncino and for leaving your comment.
    My dad is from Chicago but I've only been there to visit once. I loved it, but actually did see very little lakeside action in terms of boats and such. OK it was January and the wind clipped our ears off at every building corner, but still...
    As far as cultivating puntarelle there, it can be done. Here is the website of the US distributor of an awesome Italian seed seller. Tremendous selection of Italian vegetable varieties, volume discounts and money-back guarantee. If you contact them I'm sure you can work out a shipment of catalogna.
    www.growitalian.com

    Ciao and come back soon!
    ~Lola

    ReplyDelete